Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Can anyone help me find out anything about the history of a japanese bowl that I have had for about 30 years?

I have searched books and the web but have never seen anything else that resembles it. I think it is stoneware and I bought it in an antiques auction in the 1980s. It is about 10" wide at the top and tapers to a pedestal of about 6" in diameter. The main body has a crackle glaze and it has a band of dull brown with tooling top and bottom. The outside has detailed decoration of what seem to be samurai warriors carrying spears on horseback and these are brightly coloured in what looks like an enamel finish. The horses have really wild eyes! Inside it is quite plain appart from a white egret in the centre. I love this bowl but would love to know more about it, where it came from and what age it might be. There was no information about it when I bought it at the sale so if anyone can help I should be most grateful for anything they can tell me.
Can anyone help me find out anything about the history of a japanese bowl that I have had for about 30 years?
Without a picture to go by, hard to help. Look at the bottom and see if there is any kind of mark or engraving on it. You might have some luck researching the mark instead of the bowl itself. You may be able to find something out about it by taking it to an antique shop. Find one that seems to carry items of similar type and style, and they may be able to help you. You could have a Noritake, or other make Nippon bowl. Some of these are very collectable. And can be worth quite a bit. It may be pre WW1 or not. Depends on what a manufacturer's mark might tell you. If there is a mark, and it says Nippon, it may be older. If it says Japan, it's likely more contemporary.


Good Luck

flower arrangements

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Allyn © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting